Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:23:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
Cc:        Alex Huppenthal <alex@aspenworks.com>, <freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ATM 4.3 and so on

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Richard Hodges wrote:

RH>On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Harti Brandt wrote:
RH>
RH>> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Richard Hodges wrote:
RH>>
RH>> RH>The third would be suitable for filling a DS3 (96000 cells/s), and the
RH>> RH>fourth could carry 10 mb/s of user data.  Keep in mind that this is per
RH>> RH>VC, so if you have many going at once, you may still exceed your cell
RH>> RH>rate.  I believe that the Fore card expects this rate info in network
RH>> RH>byte order, but if not, just remove the "htonl()" from the macro.  There
RH>> RH>are many more possible values; let me know if you want the rest.
RH>> RH>
RH>> RH>And I haven't tested this myself, so if you give it a try, please let
RH>> RH>us all know how it works :-)
RH>
RH>> For what I know, this works only for a single VC. As soon as you try to
RH>> shape more than one VC, things go wrong. Three years ago a Fore engineer
RH>> told me, that they are going tu support shaping of up to 32 VC's 'in the
RH>> Windows driver'... :-(
RH>
RH>Well, that ^h^h^h^h^h is not good.  From the rate control values, it
RH>did look like some kind of burst/skip system.  Both values add up to
RH>255.  Could it be that the rate is actually the entire interface rate
RH>while that PDU is sent?  That would make it complicated to handle
RH>multiple VCs, but not impossible.  Unfortunately, the cell spacing
RH>would probably still be a problem.

The problem is the scheduler in the firmware. If it finds a output packet
with a non-zero rate specification it starts to transmit that packet at
the specified rate and all other packets wait until that one is finished.
Well, perhaps it can even put following unspecified packets in between,
but it can't handle two packets with shaping at the same time.

I don't know, what the latest firmware version is. Perhaps they did
something about it.

RH>I think I will stick with the ForeLE (IDT) cards.

Do they have the same API?

harti
--
harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private