Date:      Tue, 27 May 2008 15:31:59 +1100
From:      Dima Panov <Fluffy@fluffy.khv.ru>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.

On Tuesday 27 May 2008 01:17:11 Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> Kris, good day.
>
> Sun, May 25, 2008 at 08:42:05PM +0200, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > For the past few months some of my machines have reported at boot:
> >
> > cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> > est0: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu0
> > est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> > est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 722072206000722
> > device_attach: est0 attach returned 6
> > p4tcc0: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu0
> > cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
> > est1: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu1
> > est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> > est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 722072206000722
> > device_attach: est1 attach returned 6
> > p4tcc1: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu1
> > (for every CPU).
> >
> > They were not previously this verbose.  What is going wrong?
>
> Any chance that you have upgraded your BIOS or modified ACPI tables?
> This error message is present already for two years or so.  What
> CPUs do you have?  I assume it is on -CURRENT?

Yes, it's -CURRENT. I have same error messages.

> The message comes from sys/i386/cpufreq/est.c:1066, revision 1.16.
> And your trouble most probably comes from est_acpi_info() that does
> not return the list of frequencies.  I am seeing this for the
> dual-core Intel CPUs, but only the second core is not recognized,
> the first one is OK.

Seems to be affected many of Core2Duo CPUs, which are detected by cpuid
as "Family 6 processor"
For example, my notebook, ASUS F3Jr, give me same error:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T5300  @ 1.73GHz (1731.08-MHz 686-class
CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6f2  Stepping = 2

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0xe39d<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM>
  AMD Features=0x20100000<NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  Cores per package: 2
real memory  = 2147123200 (2047 MB)
avail memory = 2097483776 (2000 MB)

For old-core Dual Xeon (Family 10) est is alrady recognised ( I have some of
them on my workplace)

--
Dmitry "Red Fox" Panov @ Home	           FreeBSD since September, 1995
Khabarovsk, Russia      YaIM:redfox_dm | Jabber.org:fluffy | ICQ:1745024