Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:10:09 -0400
From:      David Banning <David@www3.pacific-pages.com>
To:        Matthew West <mwest@uct.ac.za>
Cc:        David@SkytrackerCanada.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: simple php script won't show in netscape

Your telnet / HEAD test was very helpful - with help of someone else
we discovered that the

LoadModule php3_module        libexec/libphp3.so

AddModule mod_php3.c

was missing - once entered and re-started with 'apachectl graceful'

the telnet / HEAD command got;

Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) PHP/3.0.16

but I still am not getting anything in my browser.

Since everyone I talk to is using php4 - I uninstalled php3
and re-installed php4. Now I started with php4 when I originally had
this
problem. It could be that the install for php3 just erased
the 'LoadModule' and 'AddModule' for php4 and did not add them
for php3.  Anyway, when I installed php4 it DID comment out the
'LoadModule' and 'AddModule' lines for php3 and added new ones
for php4. ANYWAY: we are now at the same point where I am getting
under php4 - and your telnet/HEAD command;

Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) PHP/4.0.0

but I still am not getting anything to show in my browser.

Matthew West wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 11:18:04PM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> > Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix)
> ^^^^^^
>
> this would be your problem then; it looks like the http daemon which you are
> running does not have PHP support compiled in
>
> did you install it from ports?  did you have a previous http running?  did you
> stop and then restart it after you installed the php extensions?
yes;yes and yes

while I mention using 'apachectl graceful' I also have tried
'apachectl stop' followed by 'apachectl start'