Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:41:30 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        unix@usww.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ATA 66 UDMA MODE 4 w/Amptron 3748LMRT

On Monday,  5 June 2000 at 21:03:15 -0400, unix@usww.com wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
>> For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
>>
>> On Monday,  5 June 2000 at 20:12:11 -0400, unix@usww.com wrote:
>>> The Amptron 3748 is capable of UDMA4 but I noticed that the man ata only
>>> support 33. dmesg output also show atapci0: <SiS 5591 ATA33
>>> controller>... The bio shows mode 4. I have built several of these
>>> systems with Maxtor 20 gig and FreeBSD 4.0, assuming that it would use
>>> mode 4. To my suprise it does not. Is there a patch/fix/update that
>>> anyone knows of. Or will 4.1 allow mode 4.
>>>
>>> # man ata
>>> ...snip...
>>>      AMD 756                  Ultra DMA 66 (UDMA4), 66 MB/sec
>>>      HighPoint HPT366         Ultra DMA 66 (UDMA4), 66 MB/sec
>>>      Promise Ultra-33         Ultra DMA 33 (UDMA2), 33 MB/sec
>>>      Promise Ultra-66         Ultra DMA 66 (UDMA4), 66 MB/sec
>>>      VIA 82C586               Ultra DMA 33 (UDMA2), 33 MB/sec
>>>      VIA 82C686               Ultra DMA 66 (UDMA4), 66 MB/sec
>>> ...snip...
>>
>> The SiS 5591 doesn't support UDMA4.
>
> Then can you tell me how the bios sees mode 4 on the drive and how
> windows 98 is able to use mode 4 if Sis 5591 is only 33.

It can't.

> I am not arguing with you. Benchmarking the Maxtor 20 gig with modes
> 2,3,4 show large improvements in each step.

I can't explain that.  But the 5591 doesn't support more than UDMA2.
I've checked it on the data sheet.

I suppose it's possible that there's a new revision of the 5591 out
there; check the SiS web site (the data sheets are available there).
If you find that the version you have is supposed to support UDMA4,
please let me know and I'll do something about it.

Greg