Date:      Mon, 14 May 2007 16:04:29 +0100
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish@planet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wifi-connection getting dropped ...

--=-5nLo3ROy6eM2dpJMBHc+

On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 19:40 +0200, Kiffin Gish wrote:
> Since upgrading to FreeBSD 6.2 and installing another wireless adsl
> router, I've been having problems with my wifi-connection getting
> dropped regularly, for example when idle for a given amount of time.
>=20
> Here are my settings:
>=20
> # ifconfig wi0
> wi0: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 192.168.1.102 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>         ether 00:02:2d:a5:1b:07
>         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
>         status: associated
>         ssid SpeedTouchABF160 channel 1 bssid 00:14:7f:8a:74:e3
                                ^^^^^^^^^
>         stationname "FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
>         authmode OPEN privacy MIXED deftxkey 1 wepkey 1:40-bit txpowmax
> 100
>         bmiss 7 bintval 100
>=20
> Any ideas what is going wrong and how it can be fixed?
>=20

SOOO MANY routers ship with either channel preset to 1, or worse an
'auto-select' which always chooses channel 1. In my area (not moving
from my desk), I can find about 8 distinct wifi networks - 4 of which
are on channel 1. If I plug in a router set to channel 1, I can't even
get a connection in the same room, there is that much interference.

To change it, log into your router and look for wifi configuration.

--=-5nLo3ROy6eM2dpJMBHc+

--=-5nLo3ROy6eM2dpJMBHc+--