Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 1995 21:47:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        Mike Grupenhoff <kashmir@umiacs.UMD.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Revamping Mail distribution

On Wed, 22 Nov 1995, Mike Grupenhoff wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Nov 1995, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>
> > > Agreed.  Anyway, we should start with a low-traffic list like
> > > freebsd-chat, since an accidental mail loop on -hackers will certainly
> > > melt down poor freefall.
> >
> > 	starting with a low-traffic list is the way to go.
> >
> > 	if a site is ready to try this....i can coordinate with them to
> > begin the process.
>
> Forgive me if I misunderstand here, but it sounds like you are planning
> on splitting the address list across multiple "exploder" machines,
> correct?

	that is one method we are discussing for mail.   ftp, sup and www
would require multiple sites.

> If this is the case, I'd like to suggest an alternate approach.  Why not
> keep the address list centralized on freefall, and use other machines as
> gateways for hunks of each list.  For example, you could have a rule:
>
> *.umd.edu *.udel.edu *.digex.net -> umiacs.umd.edu
>
> and majordomo would blast all addresses for these domains to
> umiacs.umd.edu.  (Please don't do this! :)  Any delivery problems,
> queueing, etc, would be handled by umiacs.umd.edu.

	what!  my alma mater is not volunteering umiacs to us....well
there goes my alumni check ;)

	this is another method that is being considered.  i have not yet
heard of a third suggested method.

> The benefit of this approach would be that all configuration, etc, is
> still located on freefall (and under your control).  In fact, as long as
> the remote sites are running mostly-normal versions of sendmail, they
> don't even have to do anything to set this up.
>
> This obviously would require some hacking to majordomo, but it shouldn't
> be too bad.  I'd be willing to help, time permitting.

	not bad at all.  the majordomo perl code is tractable as is the
bulk_mailer code.  dont expect it to take more than an evening for each.

	we will need sites to volunteer as distribution points either
way.  providing one service does not oblige a site to offer all 4 (ftp
mirror, sup server, www server, mail).

jmb

Jonathan M. Bresler        FreeBSD Postmaster         jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
play go. ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life
i am moving to a new job.                 PLEASE USE: jmb@FreeBSD.ORG