Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 18:27:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <perrya@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        modulation <modulation@geocities.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error in Installation

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, modulation wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
> >
> > Sounds like ppp hasn't started. When you logged into your isp did ppp
> > change to PPP? This indicates the link is up. Also you may need to check
> > that the network information you entered was correct.
> >
> > Andrew Perry
> When I first log on to my ISP and have to enter my account name and then
> my password. It then gives me a prompt somthing like sdn-234-adf. You
> get the point.
>
> 	To change to PPP I have to type in PPP and then wait. It then returns
> me to where I was at the begging on the program on Vterm3. Then I switch
> over and hit ok. It hangs and then it gives me the error message.
>
> I am pretty sure the infomation I entered is correct. I am installing
> Free BSD on a single computer. The only thing that I am not exactly
> clear on is my host adress. I thought it sould be either my email adress
> or sprintsite.com which is my isp. I tried both, but now I'm not so
> sure. I have had problems with my isp doing weird things before. So I to
> sent them a email asking what my host name sould be. While I am waiting
> to get it. I am just downloading from ftp.freebsd.org the packages that
> I want and will then install then from my Dos partition.
>
>                                            Thanks for you help,
>                                             modulation@geocities.com

Your host address is the ip address of the machine that you will be
installing freebsd onto. If you are assigned a dynamic ip address by your
provider I think you just leave it blank. Also your host name is the name
you will be using for your computer, not your provider.

I've cc'd the list in case I've omitted anything.

Andrew Perry
perrya@shoal.net.au