Date:      Fri,  1 Apr 2005 14:57:37 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort@brutele.be>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: policy for Linux ports

Jean-Yves Lefort wrote:

> 1) Some ports put the linux prefix in PKGNAMEPREFIX
>    (www/linux-mozilla), some put it in PORTNAME
>    (multimedia/linux-realplayer), some omit it entirely
>    (emulators/vmware3).

I don't have a color for this bikeshed.

> 2) Some ports install themselves in LOCALBASE or X11BASE
>    (www/linux-mozilla), some install themselves in LINUXBASE
>    (games/linux-enemyterritory).

Infrastructure ports (e.g. libs) are supposed to install in LINUXBASE. Leaf
ports (mozilla, enemyterritory) are supposed to install in LOCAL- or X11BASE
like every other port.

We don't mention the first one explicitely in the porters handbook, the
second one is "mentioned" implicitely (by not mentioning it the default
install policy applies).

Telling those facts explicitely is a good idea.

I already have a lot on my TODO list, but if someone sends in a patch I will
commit it (if nobody else beats me).

Bye,
Alexander.

I've got an IDEA!!  Why don't I STARE at you so HARD, you forget your
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!