Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:35:40 +0100
From:      Dirk Froemberg <dirk@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
Cc:        Dirk Froemberg <dirk@FreeBSD.ORG>, Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lesstif port doesn't install libXm.so.1 ?

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 02:37:19PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:28:25 +0100, Dirk Froemberg wrote:
>
> > I don't think the minors should be striped, since we're having a lot of
> > people using 2.2.x.
>
> This means we're leaving a port's packaging details broken to keep
> support of a legacy branch alive. That sounds like it's out of line with
> our support policy for the ports tree.
>
> If the port can't package correctly for both, it should be made to
> package for ELF.

It is not so easy as it seems to be. 8-) bsd.port.mk handles PLIST
conversion for aout and elf libraries automagically (see line 2207+).
So if you install a port that has a library name with major and minor
in the PLIST on an elf system the minor number is striped.

	Regards Dirk

--
e-mail: dirk@FreeBSD.ORG