Date:      Mon, 07 Dec 1998 18:40:28 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ES1371 - SB PCI 128

In message <199812080122.CAA16345@oranje.my.domain> Marc van Woerkom writes:
: The ES1371 depends on a different CODEC, something that is "AC97 compliant".
: What is your CODEC chip labeled - AKM4540?

I have 3 chips on my card (plus the usual assortment of connectors,
resistors, caps and VRs and a xtal).

The largest chip (100 pin) just says:

	ENSONIQ
	ES1371
	AudioPCI
	1371-0001-01
	A8A2111
	9819 USA

The next larger one (48 pin) says:

	TriTech		(or maybe InTech)
	28023
	9806

(Chip directory says 2802* parts are memory, but it doesn't have
typical memory packaging, so that's doubtful).

The third one has 8 pins and says
	4565
	80196
	  JRC

Which has a part number kinda close to the AKM4540 that you talk
about.  It is located near the audio I/O portion of the card, so it
might be a codec.  The chip directory says:
	Colour transient improvement circuit DIL18 Phillips
but it doesn't have a Phillips mark on it (I don't know what JRC is,
or I'd try to find it on the web).

The box calls the card a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI card, model ES1371,
plus a whole slew of specs that are techno-babble to me.

: But at least your problem is solvable, for we've got specs.

What kind of timeframe are we looking at?  I'm wondering if I should
take the card back and get something else, or if I can wait until,
say, new years, and have driver support.  How complete are the specs?
Is it something that one can write a driver for?  Is that being worked
on?

Warner