Date:      Mon, 02 Jan 2006 18:51:32 +0100
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is RFC1323 support flawed? (only with pf enabled)

Hello,

On nearly all of my recent 6-STABLE servers, I got complaints from the
users that transferring "larger" amount of data fails. For example on
FTP and HTTP downloading about 500k-1M works, but after that the
connection breaks. Similarly, when looking for large (a few thousand)
mail folders via IMAP, the client yells that there is a problem.

I got reports from Linux and Windows users. The solution is to turn
RFC1323 support off on any side.

What could be broken? FreeBSD? The intermediate network? Linux, Windows?

Between two FreeBSD boxes, everything is OK.

I use pf on all machines, if that counts...
... yes, that counts. Without pf it works OK, but when I load a simple
pass only ruleset, it breaks.

The strange thing is that FreeBSD-FreeBSD works with pf loaded, but
FreeBSD with Windows or Linux doesn't.

Any ideas?

--
Attila Nagy                                   e-mail: Attila.Nagy@fsn.hu
Adopt a directory on our free software         phone: +3630 306 6758