Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 00:53:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        John Clark <jrclark@felix.iupui.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ports Collection -- up-to-date

On Mon, 20 May 1996, John Clark wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It is not at all obvious how the ports collection works.  I have read the
> handbook chapter several times, and I am battled at how the whole process
> works.  I understand the ports collection to be a collection of software
> tweaked to run with FreeBSD.  I ftp'ed to
> "ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles" and picked-up apache_1.0.5.tar.gz.
> I unpacked the file into /usr/ports (I had to make the "ports" directory).
> Upon looking through the Makefile, I saw that it was configured for Sun OS.
> This does not seem very "tweaked" to me.  I must be missing something, I can
> download apache myself (from apache) and do the manual configuration.  I was
> lead to believe that someone had already config'ed the files to run under
> FreeBSD, I must be missing something.
>
> Can someone fill me in on how to use the ports collection?

Underneath the /usr/ports directory are a large set of subdirectories, of
which distfiles is almost the only one not consisting of ports (pkg is
the other one).

Here is an "ls" of /usr/ports:

.ctm_status     cad/            games/          misc/           shells/
INDEX           comms/          graphics/       net/            sysutils/
LEGAL           databases/      index-list      news/           templates/
Makefile        devel/          japanese/       pkg/            www/
README          distfiles/      lang/           plan9/          x11/
archivers/      distfiles.mine/ list            print/
audio/          editors/        mail/           russian/
benchmarks/     emulators/      math/           security/

The files you see in distfiles are not ports, they are
there for the convenience, and are the original unmodified source code.
You DON'T bother with these.  Take a look at one of the other
directories, say audio.  audio has subdirectories of:

Makefile        nas/            rplay/          tracker/        xmcd/
gmod/           pkg/            rsynth/         workman/        xmix/
gsm/            playmidi/       s3mod/          xcd/
maplay/         radio/          sox/            xcdplayer/

Don't make here, cd into a directory that interests you, as an example
playmidi.  /usr/ports/audio/playmidi is a port, and once you're in there,
then you can type "make", then "make install".  The playmidi Makefile
will take care of getting the source code (either from
/usr/ports/distfiles if it's in there, or from the network for you
automatically).  If you want to read about playmidi before you make it,
from inside the playmidi port (or ANY port) type "more pkg/DESCR".  This
will get you a description of the port.  Alternatively (if you're using
the ports collection from FreeBSD-current) you can cd to /usr/ports and
type "make print-index | more" to read about them all.

When you finish building and installing a port, don't forget to type
"make clean" to erase uneeded build files, else your disk is going to get
REALLY full.

> 		--John
> 		[jrclark@indy.net]

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |