Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:27:54 +0200
From:      Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   GNU emacs 21.2

Be warned: emacs newbie :-)

In the documentation primer is recommended to use Emacs as the editor
for the documentation project. It is said that PSGML is loaded whenever
opening a document ending in .sgml.

Now, when i open a document in GNU emacs 21.2, it starts some kind of
sgml-mode, but from what others are telling me, it's not PSGML that's
loaded. I noticed it too when indention didn't work after inserting the
"(setq sgml-mode-hook blah" from the primer into my ~/.emacs.

So, i installed the psgml port, and added this (found in the psgml info
file):

 (autoload 'sgml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit SGML files." t)
 (autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit XML files." t)

Now, after opening a SGML document, i get:
File mode specification error: (error "Autoloading failed to define
function sgml-mode")

Does anyone know what to put in ~/.emacs to get the sgml support
completely working? (including correct spacing and indention?)

Thanks,

Jochem