Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 1995 13:48:16 +0000 ()
From:      Cihat Ozhasoglu <root@localnet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   beeping w/ sb16

Hello,

I have just installed 2.0.5-RELEASE and recompiled my kernel so that my
soundblaster 16 works (I think :)

When I type "cat snd2.au > /dev/audio" it works just fine.  However, the
computer doesn't seem to be "beeping."  For example, Ctrl-G in irc
sessions doesn't generate the "beep sound."  Also, when I telnet to a
Spac10 running Solaris 2.3, the regular "beep sound" that occurs when
error is made (like hitting backscape while at the beginning of line)
isn't generated.  These work fine under Windows NT which is my other OS
on the same PC.  I realize that these beep sounds are really generated
by the "computer speaker" and then feeds to the sound card.  Do I need
to need to configure /dev/pcaudio too?  I thought this was for the
computer speaker only!?

Here is the entry I added to "MYKERNEL"

controller      snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388

Thanks for your help :-)