Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2016 09:36:36 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>
Subject:   Re: best time to sync

On 11/18/16 08:29, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> Can someone tell me what the best time to synchronize ports is,
>> in terms of having a consistent ports tree?
>
>> Thought I saw something once about the end of the weekend being best
>> but can't find it.  In any case, is there a period during which the
>> ports tree is held frozen to get a consistent build?
>
> If you want to have a more stable ports tree, use the
> quarterlies, for example:
>
> mkdir ~/q4
> cd ~/q4
> svn checkout https://svn.freebsd.org/ports/branches/2016Q4 .

I'm interested in a consistent ports tree for build purposes.  I want
updates, but I want the tree to be consistent enough to build.  In
the past I have sync'd at less than ideal times and things did not
build as a result.  I understand this is always a possibility, but
was wondering if there was a time when it was most likely consistent.
For example, is a weekly build done on the ports tree starting at a
particular day and time?  Daily?

Gary