Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:27:38 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
To:        Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnisec.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ataraid and glable interference

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 05:00:28PM +0200, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> usually I use gmirror but today I wanted to use ataraid (Intel Matrix) for
> a new system.
> My filesystems are always mounted by label reference,
> "/dev/ufs/testbox1ROOT /" for example.
>
> The problem is that the system also sees the disks themself which are
> components of the ataraid (ar0 = ad4+a6 and all 3 devices are present).
> If I 'tunefs -L testbox1ROOT /dev/mirror/t1ROOT' then at startup geom sees
> the "testbox1ROOT" label on ad4p2 and not on mirror/t1ROOT.
>
> Is there a way to hide the real disks if they are members of an ataraid?

This sounds like something you should file a PR for.  I'm a little
baffled as to how/why the glabel is showing up at all on /dev/ad4
partitions (or slices; not sure which GEOM sets metadata on).

What you're doing sounds completely legitimate, and it sounds like an
oversight which should be addressed in some way.

The only way I can think of is to get ata(4) to support some loader(8)
tunables, something like hint.ad.4.disabled="1" to disable ad4, so
that you can use those to "ignore" disks.

Or is this a GEOM labelling bug of some sort?