Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 1995 01:40:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        ahill@netspace.net.au (Anthony Hill)
Cc:        tom@uniserve.com, jan@bagend.atl.ga.us, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: keyboard locks up 950622-SNAP

> > On Sun, 25 Jun 1995, Jan Isley wrote:
> >
> > > The first try was just installing bin.  After printing xxxx blocks
> > > on debug window I got Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode.
> >
> >   Sounds like hardware.  Try disabling the cache.
> >
> What is the problem with FreeBSD and caches - I could not install, and
> cannot rebuild a kernel with my cache turned on !  Turning it off is a
> pretty easy fix - but I also take a pretty big performance hit.
>
> What does it mean if your cache is causing these problems ?

It means more than likely one of two things, either you have a marginal
cache SRAM that when pounded on as hard as FreeBSD pounds on a cache
it fails and corrupts data, or you have a bus master DMA cache coherency
problem that fails to invalidate data in the cache.

What motherboard and/or chip set are you running on?  I will see if it
is in my great mass of grey matter that stores the database for known
problematic systems :-) ?