Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 19:45:30 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Steve Warwick <ukla@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [OFF] FreeBSD vs Solaris - Opinions?

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

On 2002-06-23 01:43 +0000, Steve Warwick wrote:
> Sorry for the off topic post but I am interested to get some
> different opinions on the "which is better FreeBSD or Solaris?"
> topic. Everyone I know is pro Sun so I'm trying to get a balanced
> view.
>
> Actually, to clarify my situation:
>
> Which, in your opinion would make a better server. Sun UltrSparc 5 /
> 333mhz running Solaris (I got a great deal on a couple of machines)
> or a generic Athlon 1.2mhz running FreeBSD. [both machines have ATA
> drives & 256meg]
>
> Your thoughts and expert opinions welcomed, including the peripheral
> topics of support, usergroups etc.

Both have their good and bad points.  You might want to use the old
SWAT trick.  Grab a page of a4 paper, and split it in four equal
regions, with one vertical and one horizontal line.  Start writing
advantages of operating systems on the top part, Solaris on the left,
FreeBSD on the right.  Then disadvantages of them both, on the bottom
part of the page.

After a while, having asked and researched both the good and bad
things that you can find, try to make a balanced decision.  Some
things are bound to be more important than the rest.

A few of the good points of each operating system are listed on their
respective homepages.  Both technical and non-technical things can be
found at http://www.FreeBSD.org about FreeBSD.

What can be considered as an advantage, and what is definitely a
disadvantage depends highly on your specific needs and requirements.
Could you elaborate a bit on that part?  Then, there are a lot of
people on this list and resources online that wecan point you for more
details...

- Giorgos

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99--