Date:      Sun, 28 Dec 2014 19:11:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Dale Scott" <dalescott@shaw.ca>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD with Win7 and UEFI

On Sun, December 28, 2014 5:26 pm, Dale Scott wrote:

>> On Dec 28, 2014, at 2:56 PM, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
>> wrote:

>>> UEFI is a whole new game, utterly different from what came before.  And
>>> FreeBSD's UEFI support is new.  As far as I know, it has no provision
>>> for multibooting in UEFI.  Code to do that would be welcome, it's been
>>> difficult just to get the current UEFI support.
>>>
>>> Your boot menu suggests that Windows 7 is installed for standard BIOS
>>> booting.  The easiest way to deal with this is to reinstall FreeBSD for
>>> standard BIOS booting also, with an MBR format.  Then you can install
>>> the boot0 multiboot program, but it really doesn't offer anything that
>>> the BIOS boot menu does not already have.
>>>
>>> Please also consider running FreeBSD as a VM with one of the many
>>> virtualization options.  That has many advantages over multiboot
>>> setups.
>>
>> There is a big difference: in last case you have the machine running
>> Windows 7. Just out of curiosity: do _you_ have the same level of trust
>> Windows 7/8 system as you do to FreeBSD? If yes, why at all would you go
>> into trouble running FreeBSD? Just curious (no offense to
>> anyone/anything
>> intended ;-)
>>
>> Valeri
>
> For me, it's about how FreeBSD enables building and experimenting with
> systems of applications in ways that wouldn't be possible on Windows
> (arguably from a pragmatic perspective, not necessarily technically).
>
> Dale

I see... If to keep Windows as the system machine is running then Windows
+ cygwin is something that might be much nicer and smoother the Windows
--> Virtual Machine --> FreeBSD. Of course, cygwin is pretty much Linux as
opposed to FreeBSD being FreeBSD...

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator