Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2001 00:09:27 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Usage of resources.

Jorge Biquez wrote:
> Top gives me this information:
> ---------------------
> last pid:  4873;  load averages:  0.00,  0.00,  0.00    up 0+11:19:07  01:12:28
> 32 processes:  1 running, 31 sleeping
> CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.4% interrupt, 99.6% idle
> Mem: 24M Active, 66M Inact, 18M Wired, 8348K Buf, 259M Free
> Swap: 512M Total, 512M Free
> ---------------------
>
> My Machine is a Pentium III 384 MB of RAM an IDE HD with 8 GB. It is
> running very good (today I shutdown because I increase the memory in
> another 128 MB after 75 days without a problem).
>
> What would be your advice, on experiences about increase the speed of my
> server?

If the stats you're showing above are typical, and you're seeing a
performance problem, then I can only think of two possible problems:
1. Your pipe to the interenet is overloaded. If you've got a T1 (1.5M/s)
and it's trying to transfer 2m/s on average, you're going to see things
go slow.
2. Your site is bloated. If most of your clients are coming in via
dialup - your primary bottleneck will be their phone line. You say
800,000 pages/month. What is the kilobyte/page average? It might just be
big slow pages that take a while to download.

-Bill