Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:36:12 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Darren Henderson <darren@bmv.state.me.us>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Correct sequence for keeping a 4.1 system stable.

Darren Henderson wrote:

> > Hmm, I don't know why.  Those problems were going from 4.0 -> 4.1.1 and
> > going from 4.1 -> 4.1.1 on another machine.  If it happened on just one
> > machine i wouldn't rase a question.  But his is happening on both, however
> > of course I'm the one that's done both the machines.  But i don't think
> > i've screwd anything else up.
>
> Just a "me too". Going from 4.1 -> 4.1.1. Ended up having to do buildworld
> install world then building the kernel the old way. Haven't been able to get
> the kernel to compile using buildkernel since.

I have absolutely no problem doing this. Because of this thread, I
followed a remote cvsup upgrade from 4.0-R to 4.1.1-Stable yesterday.
I had all of the makes captured to text files and no errors. We added
>& bworld.txt and ">& bkernel.txt to the appropriate builds. For the installs, I replaced the "b" with an "i". You need to capture the output and see what is happening.

One thing, you can't do something like a "make buildkernel
KERNEL=GENERIC" unless /usr/obj has been populated by a buildworld. If
you do a make clean after the installworld, the buildkernel scheme
will no longer work. Once you have done an installworld, I don't think
there is any advantage in doing a buildkernel. If they change
something like the compiler, that may not work because you need to do
a cross compile and the buildkernel methodology does that for you. I
would rather not spend the time figuring out if I can get away with
using the config scheme and do a build[install]kernel after every
cvsup of RELENG_4. I also belive in building everything before I start
my first install.

It works so well for me straight out of /usr/src/UPDATING that I
suspect you have mistyped something. The only problem I had was the
first night O'Brien updated the /binutils. I was tried to use kernel
instead of KERNEL and that didn't work. On the diagnostic side of me,
however, I have long held the opinion that one failure means more than
100 successes.

Engelschall had an elaborate cookbook for upgrading 3.x to 4-stable
that he sent to the -stable list back in August. It is now out of date
because a buildkernel KERNEL=RUBY no longer produces a kernel called
/RUBY. The RSA ban has passed and the ssh stuff is built in
everywhere. Some of the things you have to do to upgrade 3.5 to
4-stable aren't needed when you are at 4.x. You still have to generate
the keys if you aren't using ssh.

Kent

Kent Stewart