Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:14:51 +0900
From:      Rob Lahaye <lahaye@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: creating ftp users!

Raymond Sundland wrote:
> Rob,
>
> You can try setting the user's shell to /usr/libexec/sftp-server (or
> wherever the sftp-server binary exists under FreeBSD).
>
> This will give the user ability to SFTP into the box, but without a
> normal shell.  /usr/lib/exec/sftp-server should be added to /etc/shells,
> too.

Almost works ;).
Doing what you suggest, I can sftp to the account, but when I do ssh to
that account, I get the regular login message but no prompt. Something
seems to hang. When I type something and hit return, I get:

bad message
Connection to foo.bar.com closed.
$

It somehow blocks ssh login indeed, but it's not very nice!

BTW will sftp also work with the /etc/chroot file?

Thanks,
Rob.