Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 18:21:32 -0600
From:      Mike Widner <mwidner@baagoo.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems w/ 4.4-stable and sound blaster

Has anyone experienced problems with 4.4-stable and sound blaster 16s? It's
certainly an older card, but it worked fine under 3.2, 3.4, and 4.1.1; then,
once I upgraded, it stopped working. I've got pcm and sbc in my kernel. Here's
the lines from dmesg:

sbc0: <Creative SB16/SB32> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq 1,5 on isa0
pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.13> on sbc0

It does play *some* sound w/ xmms, but it's very scratchy and slowed down,
then ends up freezing my box. I've tried dropping from 16 bit to 8 bit and
there's a small improvement, but the same thing ultimately happens. Is there
some way to fix this or should I just accept the fact that 4.4-stable doesn't
properly support my card and go get another one? TIA.

mike
--
"Exhibit the unadorned and embrace the uncarved block,
 Have little thought of self and as few desires as possible."

	-Lao-Tzu