Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 15:32:01 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, culverk@culverk.student.umd.edu
Subject:   Re: just found this

In message <19990928125831.17843.qmail@ns.oeno.com>, Ville-Pertti Keinonen writ
es:

n>Actual use obviously shouldn't include cached data.  Can you say off
>the top of your head whether v_holdcnt applies to anything other than
>v_cache_src and non-VM buffer-cache (struct buf) stuff?

Sorry, no, can't answer without looking.

>If not, then v_usecount == 0 could be considered non-use without
>worrying about v_holdcnt, since most vnodes with cached data are going
>to have an associated vm_object holding a real reference.
>
>> >BTW: You still haven't committed the v_id patch I sent you in May.  Is
>> >there any specific reason for this?
>>
>> I seem to remember we stalled on some detail which wouldn't or
>> couldn't work was it NFS ?
>
>No, there was a completely unrelated NFS bug I ran into while looking
>into it (which has been fixed), the last comment from you seemed to
>imply that you were going to commit the patch.

Sorry, we must have missed each other.  I understood that since
NFS held "soft references" it was pointless.  Send me the patch
again and lets resume that one.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!