Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 09:50:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Craig Huckabee <huck@mispwoso.nosc.mil>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Optimizing system performance w/ large scale system

  I've just upgraded one of our FreeBSD servers here to the following
  configuration :

  ASUS P/E-P55T2P4D motherboard with one P166
  512MB of RAM, 512K of cache
  3 Adaptec 2940 SCSI controllers
  8 2GB drives spread (two to a controller)
  1 DEC 20140 based PCI ethernet card (I may switch to a supported FDDI card
  soon if I can)
  Running 2.1.5-RELEASE

  My questions are:

  1) With this much RAM are there any special tweaks I should make to the
     kernel config file (other than the 'options "MAXMEM=(512*1024)"' line)
     to improve performance and get the most out of the machine?

  2) Are there any other special tweaks I should consider?  This machine will
     hopefully provide shell accounts, ftp access, web service, and possibly
     POP mail service for a large number of people (>500).

  3) What utilities provide the best picture of system performance? I've
     used 'top' and I've run 'lmbench' and 'bonnie' before to beat on a system,
     but I was wondering what other people use to gauge system performance.

     Any advice from any other large FreeBSD sites is appreciated.

     Thanks,
     Craig