Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 16:23:29 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Name <pyriformus@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 08:39:55PM -0400, Name wrote:
> hello
>
> my name is william mccartin and i have at long last successfully installed
> free bsd onto my desktop computer for the very first time and i figure i
> might have perhaps a few valuable tidbits of information on how your online
> manual did and did not help me through my installation process

Hi, William,

First, welcome to FreeBSD.

Despite what you might suspect, the FreeBSD installer is not meant to
prevent people from entering our club.  I really am quite sorry you
had such trouble; I'm not sure exactly where else we could put the
statement that you need to use the space bar, as it is repeated in
several places.  The piece of evil code that the installer is written
in actually doesn't allow us to change the font size.  :)

The gentleman who wrote you back earlier, Jordan, is actually
responsible for the installer.  As you might guess, it is one of his
fondest wishes to replace it with something far more user-friendly.
He's really quite passionate about it.  Work is underway, but it's
slow going.  Feel free to search the mailing list archives for the
whole ugly story, if you're interested.

Now that you have it installed, let me point you at a couple of other
things that might help you out.

Do look at the Handbook and FAQ; they contain most of the friendly
documentation.

When you get an error message you just don't get, take a look at the
mailing list archives at http://www.freebsd.org/search/ .  I find 90%
of my answers there.

Lastly, when you're really stuck, drop a note to
questions@FreeBSD.org.  It's full of people who want to help newcomers
figure out just what they've gotten themselves into.

Again, welcome,

Michael Lucas

(I have no formal relationship to the FreeBSD project, I just write
about it.  :)

--
Michael Lucas
mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org