Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 09:47:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Peter heads back to M$FT WinBloze

Oohhh-

On 26 Jul 2002, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> I won't argue preferences.  I'm happy with my Unix/Linux/FreeBSD
> workstations, but you may not be.  Go with what works best for you.
>
> Personally, though?  Buy a Mac.  No, I'm not kidding.  My wife bought a new
> iMac last weekend, and that little box is great.  You have a terrific GUI,
> lots of commercial software ready-from-the-box, and a pretty featureful

Seconding that for the older-model (1999?) iMac my non-computer-using wife
bought. I have some quibbles about features of the MacOS-8.x we got, but
from the moment you cut open the box until you're registering your new
family member over the net a couple of hours later, Apple is building a
user-tool relationship and user confidence. I think they hit 100% as
product designers.

> FreeBSD system for when you feel like hacking around in a shell.

Do you mean Mac OS X, or an overlay of FreeBSD on MacOS-8/9? (That's why I
started out 'Oohhh'.)

> After playing with it for a few hours, I doubt I'll ever again suggest
> Windows to someone I don't dislike.  Mac OS X is pretty, it's stable, it's
> easy to use, and it's largely Unix.

Apple has run a great series of ads in e-Week, showing that [definitely]
pretty desktop and suggesting their combination of iBook and Mac OS X is
the answer to a SysAdmin's prayer: sexy _and_ cute.

I wish 'em all success.

 - John Mills