Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:39:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Nick Popoff <saruman@interlog.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problems with Packages

Hiya.  I'm having a problem adding packages to my new 2.2.2 FreeBSD
installation via the net.  I've tried using /stand/sysinstall, plus
"make"ing the specific packages I'm trying to get (bash, pine).  Either
way, when it's almost finished downloading the archive, or just after it
finishes downloading, I get a page fault, and FreeBSD reboots.

Here's the traceback FreeBSD printed out when I tried to install bash2
using "make":

Checksum OK for bash-2.0.tar.gz

Fatal trap 12: page fault in kernel mode
Fault virtual address: 0x80
Fault code supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer 0x8:0xf01c771c
stack pointer 0x10:0xefbffce4
frame pointer 0x10:0xefbffcec
code segment base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
     DPL0, pres 1, def321, gran 1
processor eflags interupt enabled, resume, IOLP=0
current process: 258 (MD5)
interrupt mask: net tty bio
panic: page fault

syncing disks 16 16 16 [...] giving up

----

I get a different crash downloading Pine, with "current process: (fetch)"

Anyone heard of a problem like this before?  As far as I can tell, this
crash occurs no matter what package I'm installing.  Any help is much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick