Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2001 18:28:48 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Doug Silver <dsilver@quantified.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Hanna <jhanna@shaw.ca>, FreeBSD ISP <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Whats with this -> sendto: No buffer space available

Doug Silver wrote:

> It happens all the time on one of my nameservers, but only when amanda is
> trying to back it up.  Then it says this:
>

>>Dec  4 23:00:43 HOST syslogd: sendto: No buffer space available
>>Dec  5 00:00:36 HOST syslogd: sendto: No buffer space available
>>

> It does not affect the machine other than this message.

Hmmm, no affect???

When ever I get this message the machine can no longer send any data
to the network on that interface... The interface has to be reset...

Perhaps the cause of your message is due to lack of mbufs for the load
its getting, you should probably increase them...

The problem the rest of us have is different... I am almost 100% sure
this is being caused by a problem upstream, the data cant get out so
the sendto buffer fills and seems to lock up the interface... I have a
feeling this may be specific to PPP connections, anyone finding this
locks there interface on a non PPP connection??? (pppoe is still ppp
could this even be specific to pppoe??)

Anyway to my way of thinking this is an error in the handeling of this
kind of situation and needs to be looked at... Is there anything that
I can log or dump next time this happens that would be helpfull in fixing
this???