Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2019 07:53:50 +0100
From:      Phil Norman <philnorm@gmail.com>
To:        "J. Altman" <freebsd@chthonixia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Radeon Vega 8 and drm-fbsd12.0-kmod

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 02:37, J. Altman <freebsd@chthonixia.net> wrote:
[snip]

> However, though I am full of PEBKAC, I've decided that there are only
> so many times I can type hw.syscons.disable=1 (with or without
> double-quotes around the 1) then I say no more of that.
>
> But is there a sysctl flag for hw.syscons.disable? Because I look for it,
> and do not see one after reboot with hw.syscons.disable=1 in
> /boot/loader.conf.

I run a Ryzen 5 with on-board graphics, and here's what I see:
1: Boot-up commences, and I see text on the console. This text is flush
with the left edge of the screen, and looks 'normal' - like it did before I
added 'hw.syscons.disable=1' to /boot/loader.conf.
2: After about 3/4 of a screen height of text (where height is unknown, but
not an 80x24 old-skool thing, and not as-tiny-as-possible-on-a-4k-monitor
either, but readable) no more text appears.
3: Within a small (10pixel or so) bar at the top of the screen, weird
coloured patterns appear in various shades. This lasts several seconds.
4: As the 'amdgpu' driver loads, I get a terminal again, but this time it
looks a bit unusual - maybe the font's a bit different, and definitely
there are large margins on the left and right sides of the screen.

How does what you see relate to this? The thing that happens at [2] above
is evidence that the 'hw.syscons.disable' is working. Do you get that?

If not, one suggestion I'd have is to open /boot/loader.conf and retype the
line (not copy/paste) - on rare occasions I've had this work because there
was some unnoticed unicode character in place of one of the ascii chars.

> > > So: is it a lack of Vega 8 firmware?
> >
> > raven is raven, there's no 'vega8' firmware AFAIK.
>
> I looked around and that does seem to be the case.

My understanding is that vega8 is the Ryzen 3 equivalent of vega11 in Ryzen
5. I've seen something (don't remember where) that suggested the number (8
or 11) was simply how many triangle-drawing units there were. I can't
confirm that though.

All the best,
Phil