Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 23:03:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sascha Blank <blank@sliphost37.uni-trier.de>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: ctm

J Wunsch has written recently:

> The only reliable method is to CVSup from the CTM master site again,
> before switching back to CTM.  This would update your .ctm_status file
> to the exact status of the master site.
>
> I once tried to convince Richard into providing a CVSup server (and be
> it only for registered people, exactly for this purpose), but it seems
> he feared the effort.  (Well, he probably doesn't know it takes as few
> as 15 minutes to get it up & running... ;-) If people are disciplined
> enough to not abuse this service, but only use it for the final
> catchup before switching back to CTM, this shouldn't cause any notable
> load on Richard's machine.

You can neglect the time it takes to unpack and apply the deltas.
As soon as the filter gets hold of a delta, ctm_rmail takes over
and does the rest. I'm already doing this on the fly to update my
ports-cur and src-cur repository on our ftp server, and even though
the server is usually heavily loaded and the 9GB disks aren't the
fastest ones, it often takes less than a minute or two.

> An alternative could it be if Sascha's machine would provide this
> service, although the latency is a little higher then (since he has to
> extract the CTM deltas first).

The idea does not sound bad. We're already serving as a (unoffical)
sup server (mostly for NetBSD), so setting up a cvsup server shouldn't
be to complicated. In case I can find an entirely statically linked
version of CVSup 15 that will work on BSDI 2.1 and 3.0, I would be
willing to do a little testing (I once fought against the M3 compiler
and do not want to do it again, especially on a machine that has no
ports collection).

But you shouldn't forget even with such a CVSup server I'm still relying
entirely on Richard's server. The moment _his_ server fails for any
reason _my_ server will be useless as well. The past incident made this
very clear.

--
             Sascha Blank - mailto:blank@fox.uni-trier.de
  Student and System Administrator at the University of Trier, Germany