Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2018 23:13:17 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   jail related inconsistencies in FreeBSD tools parameters

I don't know if it is better to discuss it in jail@ or stable@ list so a
do cross-post.

FreeBSD has many jail aware utilities but they are inconsistent in
taking JID as parameter.

For example "sockstat" takes -j JID "Show only sockets belonging to the
specified jail ID" and it means numeric ID only.
On the other hand "ps" takes -J JID "This may be either the jid or name
of the jail.  Use -J 0 to display only host processes."
The same apply for "top", it understands jid as a number or name of the
jail too.
Then again "cpuset" takes only numerical ID of the jail...

Shouldn't it be consistent across all FreeBSD base utilities so all of
them can use numerical ID and name?

Should I file a PR for it?

Miroslav Lachman

PS: I am on FreeBSD 10.4 so I don't know if something is different in
newer branches