Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 18:20:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        oleg@nnk.univers.chernovtsy.ua (Oleg N.Kolesnikov)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question

> How can I get the state of DCD-bit under FreeBSD using C ?
> What function should I use ?

You need to look at t_state in the tty struct... man gtty and ignore
the fact that it's a legacy interface, since the cross-reference to
the ioctl() man page and tty(4) and ioctl(2) doesn't document the
TIOCGETP/TIOCSETP (like the stty/gtty man page said it does).

You are actually supposed to *not* look at this value; instead, you
are supposed to extablish the port as your controlling tty, set -CLOCAL
and HUPCL, and trap the SIGHUP's that will be sent to your process on
on-to-off DCD transitions.

Look at the "tip" and "cu" sources for details.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.