Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:08:40 -0400
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>
Subject:   Re: Ugly Huge BSD Monster

Terry Lambert said on Sep  5, 2003 at 01:49:00:
> > That said, we live in a litigious world, and if some nasty person really
> > wants to sue you on flippant copyright or patent violation or other
> > grounds (like SCO), you must have deep pockets (like IBM).  Of all
> > organisations in the world, be assured that the FSF is the least likely
> > to sue you for anything less than brazen cut-and-pasting of entire
> > programs, despite your personal vendetta against them.
>
> What about if the GPL'ed code came from SCO or IBM, granting that
> SCO is litigious, and IBM has deep pockets?

I don't think Brett Glass considers them evil, so he won't worry.  In
practice, if IBM really wanted to sue you, they could do it without
bringing in the GPL: any code you write probably infringes a dozen of
their patents.  Look at their reply to SCO and the patents cited therein.
(They also cite GPL infringement there but that's because it is indeed
directly relevant.)

Basically, as Mark says, there are more important things to worry about
in life.

-- Rahul