Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 11:01:22 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: mergemaster RFC (long)

[.....]
> 	First, the things I am definitely going to do. Christian "naddy"
> Weisgerber has taken on the task of porting mm to openbsd. He has made
> some very reasonable requests that will make his life easier and reduce
> gratuitous differences between versions. Also, several people have asked
> for
> the ability to specify DESTDIR, which is an easy fix and definitely an
> understandable request.

I think it would be nice to aim to keep the two scripts exactly the
same, using `uname` when it's really necessary.  IMHO this really
helps when maintaining code - if there are different versions, the
tendency is to update the one you use most, and ``mean to get around
to'' updating the other(s) later.  Of course the ``later'' tends to
stop happening after a while...

[.....]
> script. I'm going to add variables to the .mergemasterrc file for
> mergemaster-start and mergemaster-end scripts (names may change). These
> scripts will run after the temproot environment is built, and after mm
> is done with it's run. These scripts would be source'd from within mm so
> all the variables will be available to them.  This should allow people
> to add in their own "options" that I don't want to add to the program.

I like this idea.  Perhaps the man page should have a HOWTO section
that describes how to ``not compare files'' by deleting them in the
start script etc.

>             This is cobbled together from various people's suggestions.
> We need a list of files somewhere (probably in .mergemasterrc) that
> people don't ever want to have to deal with via the "normal" mm process.
> If a file on that list has been updated (according to the cvs tag) then
> instead of presenting that file to the user, it will be ignored the
> first time through. Then, at the end of the script there will be a
> printout similar to what happens when the user leaves a file to do by
> hand later. Something like:

I think having

  IGNOREFILES="a b c"

isn't necessary when it's as easy to have

  rm a b c

in your start script.  It seems like overkill to handle ignored files
specifically.

> 	Next on the list of things I'm open to suggestions on is a small script
> I wrote that compares the variables in /etc/rc.conf[.local] to the ones
> in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and does the same for make.conf.
[.....]

I don't really think it matters where this happens in mergemaster,
but it would be nice to include periodic.conf too.  Of course you
can't generically include everything in defaults/ as pccard.conf is
probably something to avoid.

> 	This also brings up the question of which files in /etc are good to
> examine before a world build.
[.....]

Yes, too much handholding I think.

> 	There was a PR filed in regards to the current situation with the new
> sendmail moving the aliases file to /etc/mail, and mergemaster's
[.....]

Yep, this is definitely an SEP !

> 	I have an idea related to getting users to actually READ the man page
[.....]

Yeuch ! :-)

> 	And the last of the ideas I want feedback on is related to the problem
> of determining permissions on the files to be installed. To my knowledge
[.....]

Perhaps the best thing here is to make mtree capable of understanding
rwxrwxrwx type modes, and then generate an mtree spec file based on
the stuff in temproot and apply it to destdir ?

Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>