Date:      Fri, 4 Jul 2014 09:56:13 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        papowell@astart.com
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <x11@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kde4 packages, WITHOUT_NEW_XORG fails

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Patrick Powell <papowell@astart.com> wrote:

> I have run into a problem trying to recompile the KDE4 packages with
> WITHOUT_NEW_XORG=YES.
>
> From the CHANGES file:
> 20140416:
>   AFFECTS: users of x11/xorg graphics/dri graphics/libGL and related ports
>   AUTHOR: x11@FreeBSD.org
>
>   The default xorg version has been switched on FreeBSD 10-STABLE and
>   FreeBSD 9-STABLE.
>
>   To upgrade graphics/libGL, graphics/dri and related MESA ports, it is
>   necessary to first remove the old versions of those ports.
>   No special upgrade procedure is needed for xorg ports but it is
>   necessary to recompile all xorg drivers (xf86-*) and other ports that
>   depend on the xserver version, including
>   emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions.  Portrevisions have been bumped
>   where needed, but users of drivers not in the ports tree will need to
>   recompile those.
>
>   If it is important to stay on the old versions, it is possible to
>   specify WITHOUT_NEW_XORG= in /etc/make.conf to get the old xorg
>   distribution.
>

> My make.conf file:
>   WITH_PKGNG=yes
>   WITHOUT_NEW_XORG=yes
>
> I did portsnap fetch update, and then did:
>
> #> cd /usr/ports/x11/kde4
> #> make missing >/tmp/missing_files
>
> I massaged the /tmp/missing_files to use pkg to try to download
> a package if it was in the repository.  If they were not, I then
> tried to use 'make BATCH=YES install' to compile and install the port.

Unfortunately,  many ports have been updated with calls to the Mesa API
that do not exist in the WITHOUT_NEW_XORG version of Mesa. As a result, you
can no longer build/run recent version of those ports WITHOUT_NEW_XORG. KDE
is probably the bast known of these.

That leaves two options:
1. Move to the new Xorg versions (which may not support some older hardware)
2. Use an old (and possibly vulnerable) version of KDE

The Xorg and KDE folks simply don't provide any other options that I am
aware of.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com