Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:44:42 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A but in Zoo

> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:02:26 +0200
> From: <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>
> Subject: RE: Bug in Zoo? Or is it in ls or ffs?

> Is this not a bug in ls or ffs as well then?
> Regardless of what Zoo does, should not the OS remain sane?

Hm.  I've been using zoo since about 1989 - the old 1.x days.
I've always had it on a system here as I had many old files
I'd pull apart.  I've used it dating back to Sys V.2's and I use
it for working under MS things too.   It works for easily
transporting files from a multitude of OSes.

I just checked on about 6 systems I have access to, 4.6, 4.5, 4.2
and a 4.0, and they all exhibit the same behaviour.  I don't know
when it changed, but the sources to zoo have not changed since
the early 1990s, and the sources when extracted all show
a day of May 1, 1993.

So I'm suspecting that something changed in the 4.x series.
I don't have anything prior to 4.x to check on.

I've not created any zoo archives in the past couple of years but
it used to work, and I've used it on many platforms.
Since the code is the same and has not changed since Rahul Dhesi
wrote the last version in 1991 - would it not stand to reason then
that something has changed in FreeBSD since the 4.x came out.

Could someone who has a pre 4.x system check this?

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com