Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:52:36 -0700
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote GDB *still* buggy...

On Wednesday, 14 June 2000 at 12:27:27 -0600, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 14 June 2000 at 11:05:41 -0600, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>>> I still can't get remote GDB to work correctly in a 5.0-current
>>> environment at speeds greater than 9600bps.  Is anyone else
>>> experiencing similar results?  I thought that grog had fixed this...
>>
>> So did I.  Are you just getting hangs?  What kind of UART?
>
> On which side of the connection?

Debug machine.

> I'm using my Thinkpad 770X as the GDB host and it says:
>
> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
> sio0: type 16550A
>
> On the machine I'm trying to debug, a Dell Precision 410, I have:
> sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
> sio1: type 16550A
>
> I suppose I could rip open the case to try and find what part they
> put on the motherboard for the 16550 support, but I'm had similar
> results with other machines.

Hmm.

> In GDB, you see some message about "malformed messages" and you
> can't seem to do anything.  The other odd part is that speeds up to
> even 115200 work just fine up until the point that interrupt
> services are enabled.  Then your hosed.

That's pretty much the symptoms I had been seeing until the fix.  I
don't understand why you're still seeing them; they were gone in a
flash on my system.  Are you sure you're using this revision?

/* $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/i386/i386-gdbstub.c,v 1.15 2000/05/18 02:29:23 grog Exp $ */

If so, try changing the two spltty()s to splhigh() and see if that
makes the problem go away.

Greg