Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:12:28 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weird X problem

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 09:15:17AM -0400, Steve Tremblett wrote:
> I just upgraded my laptop to XFree86 4.2 and everything seemed to work,
> but I just discovered a MADDENING problem.
>
> I have xhost lines in my xinitrc to allow remote X programs for a
> handful of machines, but since upgrading 4.0->4.2 those machines can't
> display on the server.  I checked the xhost commands, and the hostnames
> are correct.  I tried using the IP address instead with no success.
> The workstation can ping the laptop, so it isn't a network problem.  It
> all comes down to the laptop not allowing X clients that xhost says it
> should.

/usr/X11R6/bin/startx was recently modified to use the '-nolisten tcp'
flag by default when starting up the X server.  If 'netstat -a' shows
nothing listening on port 6000 or so when X is running, that's
probably what's biting you.

Either type:

    startx -listen_tcp

or preferably do what Brian suggested, and use ssh's built in
mechanism for tunnelling X stuff across the network.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK