Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 04:51:33 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        <smorton@acm.org>
Cc:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

Simon writes:

> As someone who spent 4+ years developing
> highly graphical, highly interactive, and highly
> hardware-dependent single user applications
> for Unix-based (SGI) workstations, I can
> assure you that the above statements
> have very little basis in reality.

As someone who has worked with mainframes and timesharing systems for years, I
can assure you that it is right.

Perhaps you can explain the utility of a multiuser environment for a single-user
desktop graphics workstation.

> There are many reasons that Windows is the
> dominant force on the desktop today but they
> have everything to do with marketing and
> economics and very little to do with operating
> system design.

That is a common misconception, held dear and defended by those with axes to
grind or religions to defend.  Microsoft wanted the desktop GUI market and went
after it.  Most UNIX vendors did not.