Date:      Tue, 26 Dec 2006 16:03:09 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Len Conrad <LConrad@go2france.com>, Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@wlink.com.np>
Subject:   Re: Need to restrict DNS requests to just 5 per second

On Tuesday 26 December 2006 07:49, Len Conrad wrote:
> >I need to restrict dns (udp) requests to not more than 3 requests
> > per second from each client's IP.
>
> restricting DNS query rate, if you can find a way, will probably
> slow your clients' operations very noticeably.
>
> What problem are you trying to solve?
>
> Len

Well, the issue as I see it is you can't restrict the number of
queries per second from the clients without doing something on the
client's end.  You can restrict how many of those queries reach the
nameserver, or perhaps even how many of those queries the nameserver
actually responds to, but the applications at the client end are just
going to keep retrying til they get an answer, so I would think that
restricting answers is just going to generate more traffic in the
end.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel