Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 00:04:48 -0400
From:      "Ian Molee" <molee@mindspring.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   chat script failure in user-level PPP

I am having quite a time attempting to get my PPP connection to work
properly under FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE.  The problem is that I cannot for the
life of me get my chat script to succeed.  Each and every time I attempt to
connect using a "dial" command, I get the message "Warning: chat script
failed" as soon as the TIMEOUT value has expired.

I can connect manually, by entering the "term" command and manually entering
the appropriate AT commands, then logging in, so I know that the problem is
not with my hardware settings, interface settings, or miscellaneous ppp
settings (e.g., "set device /dev/cuaa0").  The following is the ppp.conf
file I'd like to use:

---ppp.conf---
default:
  set device /dev/cuaa0
  set speed 115200
  set dial "ECHO ON ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATZ
OK-AT-OK ATM1 OK-AT-OK ATS11=35 OK-AT-OK \\p\\pATDT*70\\T TIMEOUT 40
CONNECT"

mindspring:
  set phone "404 287 3038|404 654 1300|404 654 1350"
  set login "TIMEOUT 10 '' '' gin:--gin: <username> word: <password>"
  set timeout 300
  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
  add default HISADDR
---eof---

Naturally, I am using my actual username and password in the proper
locations above, instead of the placeholders.  I have tried altering the
dial script and the "set phone" into simpler expressions to reduce the
chances of the chat script failing to no avail.  For example, I changed the
"set phone" line to include only a single phone number, and eliminated
spaces from the phone number, thinking that this may be confusing chat.  I
even tried setting dial scripts as simple as "TIMEOUT 5 '' ATZ OK-AT-OK" and
"TIMEOUT 5 '' ''", and _even these_ failed. >:(

I do not know if it's noteworthy that running chat manually from the command
line fails with an exit code of 3, indicating that a timeout event has
occurred.

I am a bit upset with myself that I can't figure out something that ought to
be relatively simple, but my setup seems to be in accordance with the
sources of documentation to which I've referred (FreeBSD Handbook, PPP man
page, and _The Complete FreeBSD_).  After all, I've gotten this type of
functionality to work on other platforms in the past.  However, I'm afraid
I'm at my wit's end, and think that surely there must be someone who's dealt
with this problem, or at least has a good idea of what it might be.  I shall
appreciate greatly any guidance that any good Samaritan can provide.

Additionally, if anyone knows of any good "gotchas" regarding getting a
Windows NT machine to happily talk via the FreeBSD box as a gateway of
sorts, then I'd be interested in hearing about these:  preliminary testing
last night after manually establishing the connection and issuing an "alias
enable yes" do not look promising. :(

Thanks very much,
Ian Molee

PS: Please ensure that any replies are routed to my specific e-mail, in
addition to the freebsd-questions group:  I've recently unsubscribed to this
list because I simply could not deal with the volume.