Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:26:43 -0500
From:      Loh John Wu <ljwu@sandvine.com>
To:        "'freebsd-ports@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   how to get freeBSD 5.1 pkg_add to install .tgz files

Hello,

This is my first time using FreeBSD 5.1 and I noticed that pkg_add has
changed in that it requires a bzip2 file?  Does it not support gzip files
anymore?

TPC-C3-27# pkg_add -r -v
ftp://fbsd-ftp/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/All/bash-2.05a.tgz
looking up fbsd-ftp
connecting to fbsd-ftp:21
setting passive mode
opening data connection
initiating transfer
Fetching
ftp://fbsd-ftp/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/All/bash-2.05a.
tgz...bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
tar: Child died with signal 13
Broken pipe

I read through the pkg_add man pages on 5.1 but I'm unable to find an option
that can
let me specify the zip method for the package.  pkg_create allows you to
specify which type of zip utility you want
to use and it says "Currently pkg_create recognizes the following suffixes:
.tbz, .tgz and .tar." so I'm mystified
about why the 5.1 pkg_add is complaining about a .tgz package?
So I'm wondeirng how can I get pkg_add to work with the old tgz-style
packages?

Also, the man pages for pkg_add on 5.1 has this link which doesn't work
(i.e. file not on ftp server)
"ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/shells/bash-1.14.7.tbz)."

Thanks in advance,
John