Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2004 07:38:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      freebsd@amarand.org
To:        Jon Noack <noackjr@compgeek.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HPT374 Driver in -CURRENT

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Jon Noack wrote:

> freebsd@amarand.org wrote:
> > What is the best way to use the "device ataraid" kernel option while
> > performing a clean installation by booting off the 5.2.1 ISO CD-ROM?
> >
> > This seems like a job for custom boot floppies or CDs, but I'd like the
> > most graceful solution.  Also, I'm not afraid to read documentation if
> > there's something else that I need to read!
>
> This option is built into GENERIC (the default kernel that the CD-ROM uses
> for installation and the kernel that is installed with the OS).  As such,
> this should work "out of the box" with no extra configuration. The only
> extra thing you should know (beyond a normal install) is that if you are
> using a RAID 0 or 1 array you should only set up slices and partitions on
> the ar0 (or whatever numbered ar_) device.  This is the device for the
> RAID array.  The ad_ devices listed are the individual hard drives of the
> array (unless you have extra hard drives).  See the thread started on
> 01/23 titled "ata0-raid oddness." for more info.
>
> Remembering this little ar_ detail, just follow the handbook:
> http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

I believe I'm not being clear enough, and I apologize.  I had actually
read through just about every Google hit on ataraid pertaining to FreeBSD
(and many others that were not) before I first posted, so I just realized
the key piece of information that I have been neglecting to include:

When I boot 5.2(.1) from the ISOs, I am able to see -only- the ad4 and ad6
separate drive components of the RAID1 array, and not the actual RAID1
array itself (as ar*).  I'm using the standard sysconfig install, and
going into the Custom Expert mode, I am only given the option to select
ad4 and ad6 during the partitionable device selection, so I'm assuming (?)
that there's something else I need to do in the background or prior to
I've heard "use 'device ataraid'" from this forum, but no real clear
directions on how to use it (again, I did a search on this as well), but
I've also heard "it works out of the box" which seems to be in conflict
with the former statement (like most good assertions we know).

Sadly, it appears to not be working "out of the box" for me with 5.2 or
5.2.1; whereas 5.1 with the kernel load module from the vendor DID work.
I know how it should look...so am I going back to using 5.1 or...?

Thanks again,

--Sean Goodman