Date:      Wed, 01 Jun 2005 17:07:00 +0200
From:      Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
To:        Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Brent Casavant <b.j.casavant@ieee.org>
Subject:   Re: libpthread problem (segfaults)

--------------enigE5D0BCC0A2A1DD73A270E05B

Hello,

> I've built a new installation, and I'm no longer seeing my old
> problem, but a new one. I have a small Qt based application. As soon
> as I try to open any dialog (no matter whether it's a standard open
> file dialog or one I wrote myself), It aborts with
>
> Fatal error 'Recurse on a private mutex.' at line 988 in file
> /usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_mutex.c (errno = 0)

[...]

> Other people seem to have run into this too. I've found ports/81148 (
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=81148 ).
>
> The PR points to a libtool problem. It says that using
> USE_LIBTOOL_VER=15 instead of USE_LIBTOOL_VER=13 should solve the
> problem.

I've found the problem for my own program. I was compiling with -lc. Why
I started doing that in the first place I can't remember, but removing
that option fixed above fatal error, and seems to have no negative
effects (of course, why would it).

So, as a conclusion: gcc apparently produces broken code when -lc is
specified. I don't know much about how gcc is supposed to work, but that
might actually be a bug?

And, something in the 5.3->5.4 upgrade process went wrong which left me
with a broken libpthread. Can't say what exactly, maybe my system was
slightly broken to begin with.

Cheers
Benjamin