Date:      Fri, 4 Sep 1998 15:17:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Changes to pru_sosend() interface

As near as I can tell, only NFS uses the version of the sosend()
interface which passes a complete mbuf chain rather than an iovec.(*)
Since the demands of NFS are rather different from those of the
user-mode interface, I intend to make the following change:

- Create a new interface, sosend_bufs() (I was going to call it
sosend_nfs(), but the interface is not that specific yet) which takes
an mbuf chain rather than a uio.

- Modify NFS to use this interface.

- Delete support for passing an mbuf chain to the regular sosend().

This should make both interfaces faster, and opens up the possibility
of making further changes to the interface to improve NFS's
interaction with the socket layer.

-GAWollman

(*)Oops, I just discovered another one, because tegge didn't fix the
direct call to sosend when he imported nfs/krpc_subr.c back in
1997-07.