Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 1995 09:46:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: flock() [Was:  Never mind...]

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

| > >I've noticed that FreeBSD 2's flock() is binary incompatible with
| > >FreeBSD 1.1.5's.  My older copy of elm refuses to work now under 2.0,
| > >i get an `flock: invalid argument'.
| >
| > `struct flock' starts with an off_t, so the struct is totally
| > incompatible with the 1.1.5 version.
|
| But...  Didn't the old version of flock() use a different syscall
| number?  We should still be able to deal with the 32 bit off_t in
| the old syscall..

flock() would actually have worked, it uses two int's as parameters
(fd and cmd) since it's going to (un)lock the whole file.  I've DDB'd
the problem and noticed that i've configured it to use fcntl() for
locking (it reports ``flock failed'' though), so the `struct flock'
taken by fcntl() is the real problem.

--
cheers, J"org                             work:      --- no longer ---
                                          private:   joerg_wunsch@uriah.sax.de