Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:58:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jamie <jamie@gnulife.org>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   openssl upgrade confusion

   I'm trying to upgrade my to openssl 0.9.7d from 0.9.7c and am having a
really rough time. I downloaded the 9.7d tarball and untarred it in
/usr/src. I did a ./config, make, and make install. It seems to have
placed the new openssl libraries in a different location than where the
original ones were installed:

# locate libcrypto.a
/usr/lib/libcrypto.a
/usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a
#

  What is the best way to over-write the base install? I've considered
adding /usr/local/ssl/lib to the /var/run/ld-elf.so.hints file but I can't
find a way to modify the order so that /usr/local/ssl/lib/ is checked
before /usr/lib.

  Is that the route I should be taking, or is there a better way? I have
considered using the openssl port to do the upgrade, but I would rather
use a tarball because I have built apache/mod_ssl/openssl together.

   - Jamie

Greetings from Minneapolis, MN, United States