Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:51:36 +0100
From:      Joachim Dagerot <freebsd@dagerot.nu>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinumquestion"Incompatiblesectorsizes"

First let me assure you that I do not blame neither you or any other
one involved in the vinum project. I am perfectly aware that nothing
beats a good tape when it comes to data recovery.

Thansk for putting interest in my problem, I have tried to write down
all information you requested:

> What problems are you having?
One of my drives are flagged down. Vinum reports that drive as
"referenced". The other two drives in the RAID-5 is up. According to
"vinum list" my subdisks are:
s0 State: R 0%
s1 State: crashed
s2 State: stale

> Which version of FreeBSD are you running?
FreeBSD 5.1

> Have you made any changes to the system sources, including Vinum?
Nope

> Supply the output of the vinum list command. If you can't start
Vinum, supply the on-disk configuration, as described below. If you
can't start Vinum, then (and only then) send a copy of the
configuration file.
(Must write of the screen:)
2 drives:
D b	State: up	/dev/ad4s1e	A: 36/117796 MB (0%)
D a	State: up	/dev/ad1s1e	A: 36/117796 MB (0%)
D c	State: referenced	unknown	A: 0/0 MB

1 volumes:
V raid	State: down	Plexes:	1	Size:	230GB

1 plexes:
P raid.p0	R5 State: faulty	Subdisks:	3	Size:	230 GB

3 subdisks:
S raid.p0.s0	State: R 0%	D: a	Size:	115GB
		*** Start raid.p0.s0 with 'start' command ***
S raid.p0.s1	State: crashed	D: b	Size:	115GB
S raid.p0.s2	State: stale	D: c	Size:	115GB

> Supply an extract of the Vinum history file
Can't do that, can't run an editor now. (TMP drive read-only)

> Supply an extract of the file /var/log/messages
Can't do that, can't run an editor now. (TMP drive read-only)

> If you have a crash
No crash.

-------------------
http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]

 | Wrapped log output.
 |
 | On Monday, 15 December 2003 at 22:16:10 +0100, Joachim Dagerot
wrote:
 | > I have a three disk IDE RAID-5 system using vinum. I do not have
the
 | > root or the system disks there, but I do (did) have the /HOME on
the
 | > RAID.
 | >
 | > Now one disk has broken down and I'm trying to replace it.
However
 | > there is some problem when I'm booting: "init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc
 | > terminated abnormally, going to single user mode" I'm not really
sure
 | > what this single user mode is, but I can't write to the /tmp/
disk for
 | > some reason. Is this normal behaviour?
 |
 | No.
 |
 | > During boot vinum reports the following:
 | >
 | > ###
 | > vinum: loaded
 | > vinum: reading configuration from /dev/ad1s1e
 | > vinum: updating configuration from /dev/ad4s1e
 | > vinum: incompatible sector sizes. raid.p0.s2 has 0 bytes, raid.p0
has 512 bytes. Ignored.
 | > ###
 | >
 | > The broken disk is /dev/ad5 and it's not completely replaced yet.
I do
 | > have a bad feeling that both ad5 AND ad4 is broken, but I
certainly
 | > hope this isn't the case. I'm using RAID instead of a backup
system.

 | Hmm, that's not what it's designed for.
 |
 | > All help here is much appreciated, I have pictures from my sons
 | > first year on this RAID volume...
 |
 | Backups are always good.  But we can probably recover the data.
First
 | I need the information I ask for on
 | http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html.
 |
 | Greg
 | --
 | When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
 | If you don't, I may ignore the reply or reply to the original
recipients.
 | For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
 | See complete headers for address and phone numbers.

Contact info:
Joachim Dagerot
Cellular Phone: +46 70 265 57 03
EMail:  joachim@dagerot.nu