Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 21:59:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Library question/challenge

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> * John Polstra (jdp@polstra.com) [990729 18:49]:
>>
>> Right.  So the problem must be that you have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set.
>
> Yes I have, but this hasn't been a problem for the last 5-6 months.
> In what way could it interfere with my ldconfig then? (I read man 1aout ld)

It won't intefere with ldconfig, but it will affect what the dynamic
linker does.  If you have "/usr/lib" in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH then the
dynamic linker will find libc there, rather than in "/usr/lib/aout" as
it should.

I don't know why it didn't cause problems for you earlier.

This was netscape, right?  If so, there's an easy fix.  The command
that you execute for netscape is really a shell script which does
some stuff and then executes a big binary somewhere else.  You could
add "unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH" to that shell script to work around the
problem.

John
---
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron